Sweet & Smoked Pork Belly
- ½ kg free-range, organic pork belly
For the marinade:
- 20ml smoked water
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 thumb sized piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp honey
- 10ml tamarind concentrate
- 1 tsp mustard
- Juice from ¼ lemon
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure sea salt with chilli & garlic
- 1 tbsp good-quality brown sauce
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
Sticky, sweet, smoky and glistening, this is a dish that won’t disappoint any meat-lover. Serve with a fresh herbed salad, coleslaw and anything pickled of your choice.
Preheat the oven to 180C.
Mix all the ingredients together for the marinade.
Drizzle a little olive oil into a roasting pan to prevent the pork from sticking.
Cut the meat into 4 equal slices, and score the pork belly before pouring over the marinade. Use your hands to rub well into the pork. Pour over a little olive oil to finish, and grind over some fresh cracked black pepper.
Leave for an hour for the marinade to work its magic.
Roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until starting to char nicely. (If you’ve got a BBQ going, finish them off on the BBQ to increase the smokiness.)