Beginner’s Bread Recipes + Inspiration
A quick scroll through instagram reveals that lockdown around the world has dawned a new era of enthusiasm for baking bread. Whether it’s sourdough you’re looking to learn to slap and fold, or a simple squidgy soda bread you want to make and eat within the hour, we hope this round-up, ahem, proves to be inspiring. `For anyone having difficulty getting hold of flour, check out this article.
– Brilliant Bread by James Morton – written in a friendly and accessible way, this is an excellent bread book for beginners
– Do Sourdough – our fellow Do author has written a guide to this delicious bread for beginners
– Basically a bible in the baking world, the inspirational sourdough books from Tartine just have to be on this list.
– Possibly the ultimate book for professionals and seasoned home-bakers, recommended by Halen Môn’s chef, Sam
– Bread + Butter – a real celebration of two of our favourite staples – beautifully shot and beautifully written by our friends Grant, Eve and Richard.
– Samin Nosrat, our hero, makes possibly the best focaccia on the planet. And this video of her making it is guaranteed to brighten your day
– Anyone wanting a quick and easy recipe for right now, this soda bread has a warm place in our heart, and it doesn’t even need buttermilk to make it delicious
– This seeded rye bread is also a bit of a winner for beginners
– Our very own recipe for smoked tomato + rosemary focaccia is always a good place to start
Accounts to follow:
– Martha de Lacey – Martha runs real life sourdough classes in her London kitchen. In the meantime, her instagram is an great way to see her fluffy sourdough crumpets and perfect sourdough crust pizza
– Bon Appetit/ Healthyish – you’ll find some very helpful videos and a healthy sense of humour here, too.
– Josey ‘the bread’ baker – some great demo videos on this brilliant pro baker’s account
– Dan Barber’s bread must be some of the best on the planet.
Good bread, delivered or collected:
– Pump St are famous for two things: bread and chocolate. Thankfully, you can get both delivered to your door at the moment
– Our friends at Hobb’s House do amazing bread boxes if you know someone who needs some cheering up
– And yes, our food truck, Tide, is doing amazing bread for pick-up five days a week and local deliveries one day a week.