Charred tomato chilli gazpacho
- 800g IOW heritage mixed tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, skins left on
- 1 large red onion, quartered
- 1-2 red chillies
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano, leaves picked
- 1 tsp chipotle paste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp soft brown sugar, optional
- Halen Môn Pure Sea Salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cucumber, peeled and diced
- 15g coriander, leaves picked and finely chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- Halen Môn Pure Sea Salt with Chilli + Garlic
- Extra virgin olive oil
Corn tortillas cut into smaller triangles and fried in neutral oil, or croutons
Here we’ve used the juiciest Isle of Wight Tomatoes and our standout Pure Sea Salt with Chilli and Garlic. Rich soil and plenty of sunshine make these tomatoes a real cut above, making them our favourite, especially this time of year.
This recipe is deeply rooted in Mexico’s classic tomato and tortilla soup. Charring the tomatoes first adds a smoky flavour, and when topped with cucumber, coriander and lime, it’s the most refreshing chilled soup for the summer months.
(Crispy tortillas on top can easily be replaced with croutons if you prefer)
- Warm a skillet on a high heat to char the vegetables. This could also be done on a BBQ or under a very hot grill. Dry roast the vegetables until blackned and starting to collapse, you may need to do this in batches depending on your pan size. The garlic and chilli should only need 5-6 minutes but the onions and tomatoes will take 8-12 minutes depending on size. Peel the garlic, and remove the stems from the chillies.
- Use a high speed blender to blitz. Add 50-100ml water and blitz again. Add the oregano, chipotle paste and the tablespoon of olive oil. Blitz again and then taste. You may want to add more chipotle for more heat and between 1-2 tsp salt and a generous amount of cracked black pepper. The soup should taste sweet from the delicious IOW tomatoes but if you think it would be sweeter add 1tsp soft brown sugar.
- Chill the soup for 4 hours or overnight.
- Prepare the cucumber topping by combining the cucumber, coriander and lime juice. Add a sprinkle of Halen Môn Pure Sea Salt with Chilli + Garlic to taste.
- If you are serving with the crispy tortilla strips, heat 3 tbsp neutral oil and add the triangles to the pan for 2-3 minutes until golden and crispy.
- Serve in bowls with the cucumber and tortilla strips and a final sprinkle of Halen Môn Pure Sea Salt with Chilli + Garlic.
Thanks to Elly Kemp for the recipe and pics.